HECSA: How to Apply and Timeframe
Phase 1: Cal State Apply Application (NO LATER THAN February 1st)
- Submit a graduate application to Cal Poly through Cal State Apply by the deadline. Please visit the Cal State Apply Help Center for more information. You will be required to upload the following to the Program Materials section of your Cal State Apply application*:
- Pay the $70 application fee online
- All graduate applicants must send an Official transcript to the Cal Poly Admissions Office directly from the degree-granting institution, by the program application deadline. You are encouraged to also send unofficial transcripts from ALL baccalaureate institutions where you have been enrolled. Instructions for submitting your official transcripts can be found at the following link: https://www.calpoly.edu/admissions/graduate-student/accepted/admitted/checklist/terms-and-conditions/submitting-transcripts-and-other-documents
Before submitting your Cal State Apply Application, ensure that you have successfully completed the following:
- Cumulative higher education grade point average (GPA) 2.50 Applicants for whom the program is a fit with a GPA lower than 3.0 may be considered for admission and should highlight in the application:
- Any extenuating circumstances that led to a lower GPA.
- Work/volunteer experiences relevant to student affairs/counseling.
- GRE is NOT required
- We encourage ALL applicants to apply for financial aid in order to be eligible for any School of Education scholarship opportunities.
Phase 2: HECSA Applicant Interview (Typically held during the end of February, beginning of March)
Some applicants will be contacted by the School of Education office to arrange an on-campus group interview time. Those unable to attend the on-campus interview may be able to interview by phone or Skype. All interviews are conducted by HECSA faculty. There will be an opportunity for applicants to pose any additional questions during the interview.
Phase 3: HECSA Applicants are notified of their status (NO LATER than April 1st)
After interviews are concluded, HECSA faculty will make recommendations to the Cal Poly Office of Admissions for acceptance to the program. Following notification that an applicant has been recommended for acceptance to the graduate program, a Letter of Intent will be mailed to each applicant. Applicants must sign and indicate their intent to accept the offer of admission in the Letter of Intent and return the form by May 1st. Once the Letter of Intent is returned to the program coordinator, applicants are made aware of numerous work opportunities on campus within the Student Affairs arena. These have included positions in Housing, Athletic Academic Mentoring, Academic Advising, Orientation Programs, etc. The official offer of admission to the graduate program and the University will come from the Cal Poly Office of Admissions.
Questions? Please contact: