Grants & Scholarships

School of Education Scholarships

To be considered for a scholarship all students must complete a FAFSA and you will be contacted by the School of Education with the scholarships you are eligible for. You can contact Cal Poly Financial Aid Office for more information regarding the requirements for the FAFSA. Most scholarships are awarded by the School of Education based on the requirements of the donor and on student eligibility determined by financial aid.



Financial Aid Program for Masters Candidates

 1. Visit the Graduate Education website for additional information on aid opportunities. 

Financial Aid Programs for Future Educators

  1. Most financial aid is based on the information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA). This application must be completed every year.
  2. The financial aid application may still consider Credential Program students under 24 years old dependent and could require parental information.  Students in Master’s Programs are considered and can apply as independent students.
  3. Cal Poly will outline how much financial aid (from all sources) it can offer you based on financial aid application results.   In addition to the financial aid that is offered to you in your financial aid package, you are encouraged to search community groups and private resources for scholarships.

Download this comprehensive list of financial aid resources offered by the California Department of Education for future educators!




Award Amount



Cal Grant

A & B

5th Year

The Cal Grant A/B - Award provides a living allowance and tuition and fee assistance for low-income students.

Matches State Tuition Fee of $6,348. Cal Grant B pays an additional $1,656 living allowance.

Renewal recipients who have received a BA/BS degree and plan to enroll in a teacher credential program may receive up to one additional year of Cal Grant payment by submitting form G-44. Available to students who file the FAFSA or California Dream Act Application.

Pell Grant

Pell Grants are usually awarded to Undergraduates, but a post-BA student seeking a teaching credential may be eligible.

The amount depends on FAFSA Expected Family Contribution (EFC) results, ranging from $598 to $5,815.

You must be enrolled in a 5th Year Teacher Credential Program and enrolled at least half-time of initial credential coursework.


TEACH grant is for students pursuing teaching careers in high-need fields at secondary schools serving low-income students.

Up to $4,000 per year.

You must be enrolled in a high-need teaching credential program: Special Education, Math, Science, Bilingual Ed., & in CA: English, History/Social Science, and Multiple Subject. Must have a 3.25 CUM GPA.

Perkins Loan Forgiveness

Perkins Loan borrowers may be eligible for this loan forgiveness program

Forgives part or all of federal Perkins loan.

You must teach at a designated low-income public school, in a designated subject, or to children with disabilities.  See Student Accounts Office for info.

Stafford Loan Forgiveness

New loan borrowers may be eligible for this loan forgiveness program.

Up to $5,000  for 5 years of teaching at a low-income school.  Up to $17,500 for highly qualified math, science, or special education teachers.

You must be employed full-time for five consecutive years at a low-income school, or as a highly qualified secondary school teacher of science or math, or a highly qualified elementary or secondary school special education teacher. Request forms from the lender. 

Additional funding resources can be found here.

Read this related article "Do I Qualify for Financial Aid?" here. 


Related Content

DEI in the Bailey College

Learn More

School of Education
California Polytechnic State University
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407