There are two applications to be admitted to the credential program: Cal State Apply and the SPED Program Application.
For application assistance and clarification, reach out to the Program Coordinators or to the SOE Credential Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Bachelor’s degree in progress or completed from a regionally accredited institution
- GPA - Cumulative higher education grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 for my last 90 quarter units (or 60 semester units) OR a higher education cumulative GPA of 2.67. If below the required GPA for both categories, contact the Credential Office as soon as possible.
- Prerequisite Coursework (see below)
- Verification of Subject Matter Competency - Individuals may satisfy the subject matter competency requirement by completing one of the following methods:
- Commission-Approved Subject Matter Waiver Program
- California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) - Successful passing of all the CSET subtests specific to your credential objective. See the Competency Requirements & Prep Resources page for more details.
Holding a bachelor's or higher in an approved major - AB 130 expands the available options to allow candidates to meet the Subject Matter Requirement through successful completion of an academic major in the subject they will teach. See the Competency Requirements & Prep Resources page for more details.
Coursework via a Cal Poly SMC Evaluation - AB 130 allows candidates to use qualifying coursework to meet the domains of CSET subtests. This option allows for some subtests to be met by coursework and some to be met by passing the CSET. For example, a candidate may meet Multiple Subjects CSET Subtest I with qualifying coursework, and meet Subtests II & III by passing the exams.
Candidates are only eligible to request Cal Poly SMC Evaluations if they are affiliated with Cal Poly, including candidates who:
Completed an undergraduate degree at Cal Poly and are applying to enroll in an Educator Preparation Program at Cal Poly*
Completed an undergraduate degree at another institution and are applying to enroll in an Educator Preparation Program at Cal Poly
Cal Poly SMC Evaluations can be requested by emailing the SOE Credential Office at email@example.com. Include the following information in your email: full first and last name, EMPL ID (if Cal Poly undergrad), degree-granting institution, the credential program of interest, and the Cal State Apply admission deadline for the quarter you are planning to submit an application for. *We are unable to accept requests from Cal Poly undergrads who are not attending a Cal Poly credential program.
- (See, AB-130 Coded Correspondence for additional information)
- Basic Skills Requirement - Individuals may satisfy the basic skills requirement by mixing and matching the following methods ensuring they meet the proficiency requirement in all three areas: reading, writing, and math. Candidates should submit a Basic Skills Evaluation Request Form form for review to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET)–Multiple Subject plus CSET–Writing
- Pass the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP - Mathematics and English)
- Pass the CSU Placement Examinations (ELM and EPT),
- ACT Scores (23 or higher in Mathematics and 22 or higher in English)
- SAT Scores (prior to 2016 - 550 or higher in Mathematics and 500 or higher in Reading, after 2016 - 570 or higher in Mathematics and 560 or higher in Reading/Writing)
- AP Scores
- Coursework: Courses must have been taken at a regionally accredited college or university for credit, passed with a grade of B- or better, be degree applicable, and be at least 3-semester units (or equivalent quarter units).
- For reading proficiency: a course in critical thinking, literature, philosophy, reading, rhetoric, or textual analysis.
- For writing proficiency: a course in composition, English, rhetoric, written communication, or writing.
- For mathematics proficiency: a course in algebra, geometry, mathematics, quantitative reasoning, or statistics.
- (See, Basic Skills Requirement for an explanation of options to meet BSR; also see AB-130 Coded Correspondence for additional information)
- Certificate of Clearance (COC) – Complete the two-step process* including LiveScan fingerprinting and COC application on the CTC website and ensure issuance of a Certificate of Clearance. *COC Instruction Sheet & LiveScan Form
- Verification of Tuberculosis Clearance for Clinical Practice Placement
- EDUC 427 - Theories, Methods, and Assessments of 1st and 2nd Language Acquisition in Schools (4 units) or approved alternative from an accredited university
- EDUC 440 - Educating Individuals with Exceptional Needs (4 units) or approved alternative from an accredited university
- HLTH 250 - Healthy Living (4 units) or approved alternative from an accredited university
- 45 hours of approved observation in a Special Education setting. Please use the following form to log your hours: Field Service Log