SPED Program Admission Requirements & Prerequisites
There are two applications to be admitted to the credential program: Cal State Apply and the Special Education STEP application. (Deadlines for each application can be found in the right frame of this webpage.)
For application assistance and clarification, reach out to the Program Coordinators or to the SOE Credential Office.
- Bachelor’s degree in progress or completed from a regionally accredited institution
- GPA - Cumulative higher education grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 for my last 90 quarter units (or 60 semester units) OR I have a Higher Education cumulative GPA of 2.67. If below the required GPA for both categories, contact the Credential Office as soon as possible.
- Prerequisite Coursework (see below)
- Verification of Subject Matter Competency - Individuals may satisfy the subject matter competency requirement by completing one of the following methods:
- CSET Multiple Subject - Successful passing of all subtests of the CSET-Multiple Subject
- Holding a Bachelors's or higher in an approved major - contact email@example.com to verify if your degree is approved to meet the subject matter requirement.
- Coursework - This option is not yet available per the CTC. Our site will be updated with processes as soon as we are able to process coursework evaluations.
- (See, AB-130 Coded Correspondence for additional information)
- Basic Skills Requirement - Individuals may satisfy the basic skills requirement by mixing and matching the following methods ensuring they meet the proficiency requirement in all three areas: reading, writing, and math. Candidates should submit a "Verification of Basic Skills Requirement" form for review to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET)–Multiple Subject plus CSET–Writing
- Pass the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP - Mathematics and English)
- Pass the CSU Placement Examinations (ELM and EPT),
- ACT Scores (23 or higher in Mathematics and 22 or higher in English)
- SAT Scores (prior to 2016 - 550 or higher in Mathematics and 500 or higher in Reading, after 2016 - 570 or higher in Mathematics and 560 or higher in Reading/Writing)
- AP Scores
- Coursework: Courses must have been taken at a regionally accredited college or university for credit, passed with a grade of B- or better, be degree applicable, and be at least 3-semester units (or equivalent quarter units).
- For reading proficiency: a course in critical thinking, literature, philosophy, reading, rhetoric, or textual analysis.
- For writing proficiency: a course in composition, English, rhetoric, written communication, or writing.
- For mathematics proficiency: a course in algebra, geometry, mathematics, quantitative reasoning, or statistics.
- (See, Basic Skills Requirement for an explanation of options to meet BSR; also see AB-130 Coded Correspondence for additional information)
- Certificate of Clearance (COC) – Complete the two-step process* including LiveScan fingerprinting and COC application on the CTC website and ensure issuance of a Certificate of Clearance. *COC Instruction Sheet & LiveScan Form
- Verification of Health Clearances (TB and Rubella Clearances)
- EDUC 427 - Theories, Methods, and Assessments of 1st and 2nd Language Acquisition in Schools (4 units) or approved alternative from an accredited university
- EDUC 440 - Educating Individuals with Exceptional Needs (4 units) or approved alternative from an accredited university
- 45 hours of approved observation in a Special Education setting. Please use the following form to log your hours: Field Service Log