MSTEP Program Admission Requirements and Prerequisites
For application assistance and clarification, attend a Multiple Subject Information Meeting.
The MSTEP Overview of Prerequisites and Requirements document is a helpful tool in understanding due dates for program and credential requirements.
- Bachelor’s degree in progress or completed from a regionally accredited institution
- GPA - Cumulative higher education grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 for my last 90 quarter units (or 60 semester units) OR I have a Higher Education cumulative GPA of 2.67. If below the required GPA for both categories, contact the Credential Office as soon as possible.
- Prerequisite Coursework (see below)
- Verification of Subject Matter Competency * - Completing an Elementary Subject Matter waiver program or CSET Multiple Subject - Successful passing of all subtests of the CSET-Multiple Subject
- Basic Skills Requirement * - Individuals may satisfy the basic skills requirement by ONE of the following methods:
- California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET)–Multiple Subject plus CSET–Writing
- Pass the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP - Mathematics and English)
- Pass the CSU Placement Examinations (ELM and EPT),
- ACT Scores (23 or higher in Mathematics and 22 or higher in English)
- SAT Scores (prior to 2016 - 550 or higher in Mathematics and 500 or higher in Reading, after 2016 - 570 or higher in Mathematics and 560 or higher in Reading/Writing)
- AP Scores
- (See, Basic Skills Requirement for an explanation of options to meet BSR)
- Certificate of Clearance - Complete application for a Certificate of Clearance
- Two letters of recommendation
- Experience with children
- Professional Aptitude Interview (see MSTEP application)
* Temporary flexibilities adopted as part of EO N-66-20 and SB 820 dictate that for Fall 2021 candidates, this is not an admission requirement. This requirement must be completed prior to the preliminary multiple subject credential recommendation, and are not currently an admission requirement. If you cannot submit passing scores with your application, please attempt to register and submit proof of registration so that we can ensure you are in progress with this requirement. If you cannot submit passing scores or proof of registration, please upload a document stating your intent to register and pass the required CSET and/or CBEST.
Successful completion of the following courses is required for admission into the MSTEP program *:
- EDUC 207 Diverse Student Learning and Development in Educational Settings (4 units)
- EDUC 300 Historical, Philosophical and Social Foundations of Public Education (includes observation in grades K-6 in a public school) (3 units); or for Cal Poly LS Majors only, LS 230 Field Experience in the Elementary Classroom I (2 units) and LS 250 Field Experience in the Elementary Classroom II (2 units) **
- EDUC 427 Theories, Methods, and Assessments of 1st and 2nd Language Acquisition in Schools (4 units)
- EDUC 428 Foundations of K-8 Literacy Teaching and Learning in Schools with Diverse Populations (4 units)
Transfer coursework can be reviewed for approval as substitutions for the above pre-requisite courses by completing the steps below. *
Prior to submitting your MSTEP application, complete the Request for Course Substitution form, and have each course approved by the Credential Office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and providing the information below for review. If the course is approved by the Credential Office, upload the completed and signed form with your application packet.
Complete the form and provide the following supporting documents:
(1) An unofficial transcript** highlighting the course to be substituted; AND
(2) A copy of the course catalog description from the college you attended; AND
(3) A copy of your course syllabus
* Course substitutions are not guaranteed and requests can be denied if the transfer coursework does not meet the necessary requirements.
** For credential program courses, we will only consider substitutions if you received a grade of “C” or better.
* Prospective students may submit a Cal State Apply application for post-baccalaureate admission to the university to complete prerequisite courses. Prerequisite students will apply to the MSTEP program along with their Cal State Apply and will be conditionally admitted pending prerequisite course completion.
** The 45 hours of fieldwork requirement is being waived for Fall 2021 admission due to COVID restrictions and schools being mostly online. If you are applying for Fall 2021 you will not be required to complete 45 hours of Early Fieldwork however EDUC 300 remains a required prerequisite for the MSTEP program.