Multiple Subject Teacher Education Preparation Program
Cal Poly’s Multiple Subject Teacher Education Preparation (MSTEP) Program seeks a diverse array of teacher candidates that are representative of K-8 student populations across California. If you are ready to challenge education inequity and create classrooms where all students can reach their potential, we are confident that Cal Poly's MSTEP Program will provide you with opportunities to develop the knowledge and skills that will contribute to your success as a classroom teacher.
The MSTEP Program is a three-quarter program that runs on a cohort model, with a new cohort starting each fall, winter, and spring. Small class sizes allow our passionate, highly skilled instructors to provide personalized attention to each teacher candidate. We follow Cal Poly’s ‘Learn by Doing’ model through practice-based teacher education pedagogies that provide opportunities for candidates to practice and be coached on the complex skills of teaching while on campus. Teacher candidates are then able to apply these skills in culturally and linguistically diverse K-8 classrooms from the first day of the program.
Cal Poly's Multiple Subject Program graduates are highly sought after with a 99% hiring rate. The program provides California with dedicated teachers who are competent, caring, and creative. Graduates of the programs are particularly well prepared to:
- Continue a commitment to social justice education;
- Create learning environments that are equitable, nurturing, and joyful;
- Motivate a wide range of students to learn subject matter and become self-directed in their learning;
- Model enthusiasm for lifelong learning;
- Create curricula that encourages students to take pride in their culture, heritage and language(s);
- Use technology to achieve the above-listed and other worthy goals.
Multiple Subject Credential Offered at Cal Poly
Candidates who complete the MSTEP Program earn a Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential that is English Learner Authorized, which prepares candidates to teach in culturally and linguistically diverse settings. This credential allows you to teach multiple subjects in California elementary classrooms. However, Multiple Subject
credential holders may teach any grade level as long as their assignment consists of teaching in a self-contained classroom. Specific information about California's teacher credentials can be found at the website for the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
Multiple Subject Program (MSTEP) Info Sessions
Join us to learn more about the application requirements, admissions process, program structure & coursework, and to get your questions answered! Registration is required for the MSTEP Info Sessions via the links below.
Fall Quarter 2021
- Friday, October 22, 2021 - 1:30-2:30 PM - Register for Virtual Session
- Friday, December 3, 2021 - 1:30-2:30 PM - Register for Virtual Session
Winter Quarter 2022
- Friday, February 4, 2022 - 1:30-2:30 PM - Register for Virtual Session
- Friday, March 4, 2022 - 1:30-2:30 PM - Location TBD
Spring Quarter 2022
- Friday, April 22, 2022 - 1:30-2:30 PM - Location TBD
- Friday, June 3, 2022 - 1:30-2:30 PM - Location TBD
Multiple Subject Advisors
Alma Gama: firstname.lastname@example.org
Brittany Blunk: email@example.com
Office: Building 02, Room 120
Credential Office Advising Hours
Mondays 1:00-2:00 Schedule an Appointment
Tuesdays 1:00-2:30 Schedule an Appointment
Wednesdays 2:00-4:00 Schedule an Appointment
Thursdays 10:00-12:00 Schedule an Appointment
Multiple Subject Coordinators