How to Apply to the Curriculum & Instruction Specialization
Step 1: CSU Mentor Application (NO LATER than April 1st)
- Submit a graduate application to Cal Poly through CSU Mentor by the designated deadline. The Personal Interest Statement is not required; please indicate “Submitted directly to the Department” in the space provided.
- Pay the $55 application fee online
- Submit, directly to the Cal Poly Admissions Office, one official transcript from all colleges and universities attended other than Cal Poly. (Cal Poly degree holders do not need to provide these transcripts, unless coursework was taken after posting of your degree).
Mail transcripts directly to:
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Building 01, Room 206
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Before submitting your CSU Mentor Application, ensure that you have successfully completed the following:
- Cumulative higher education grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 for your last 60 semester or 90 quarter units. Applicants with a GPA lower than 3.0 are encouraged to contact Dr. Tanya Flushman, email@example.com
- GRE is NOT required
- We encourage ALL applicants to apply for financial aid in order to be eligible for any School of Education scholarship opportunities.
Step 2: Interfolio - Required Supplemental Materials (NO LATER than April 1st)
Once you have submitted your CSU Mentor Application, you must then submit your unofficial transcripts through Interfolio. You will need to click on the Interfolio link and scroll to the bottom of the page and select Apply Now. You will be directed to a new page where you will sign up for new account and upload the following:
- Unofficial transcripts from all Colleges and Universities Attended
- Applicants are required to upload a scanned copy of their transcripts from all colleges and universities that they have attended.
- Cover Letter (explaining your interest in graduate study pursuant to an MA in Education via the Specialization in Curriculum and Instruction)
- Application Essay (no more than four double-spaced pages)
- Applicants are required to download and respond in writing to the Curriculum & Instruction Application Essay. Responses should be completed in an essay format. The responses will be read and evaluated for both content and style.
- Current Curriculum Vita (max. 5 pages) - a curriculum vita is a multi-page record of your professional background and accomplishments. Click here for more specific information to guide you, if needed.
- Letters of recommendation (3)
- Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation via Interfolio that describe your experience and background and any other comments. Applicants may upload letters of recommendation themselves or request that letter writers submit a confidential letter of recommendation directly to Interfolio. Interfolio will ask for the email address of the letter writer and then instruct the letter writer on how to submit your letter via the Interfolio portal.
- Teaching Experience
- a copy of your clear teaching credential (any jurisdiction) AND evidence of two years of teaching experience, OR
- Applicants are required to download the Curriculum & Instruction Verification of Experience Form and have their employer(s) verify two years of experience teaching students age 3-18.
- Email the C&I Coordinator to discuss other experience that you would like to submit to meet this requirement in order to verify that you meet the requirements for admission and program completion.
- Evidence of access to action research site
- Letter from your principal or school district granting permission to conduct action research in your own classroom or in another school site, for your graduate studies, OR
- Letter from the site administrator or other responsible party granting access to students or student data for a graduate research project.
For assistance with the Interfolio submission process, please contact the Interfolio Customer Service line at 877-997-8807.
Step 3: Curriculum & Instruction Applicant Interview (Typically held during the beginning of April)
Applicants will be contacted by the School of Education office to arrange an on-campus group interview time. Those unable to attend the on-campus interview may be able to interview by phone or Skype. All interviews are conducted by Curriculum & Instruction faculty. There will be an opportunity for applicants to pose any additional questions during the interview.
Step 4: Curriculum & Instruction Applicants are notified of their status (NO LATER than May 1st)
After interviews are concluded, Curriculum & Instruction faculty will make recommendations to the Cal Poly Office of Admissions for acceptance to the program. Following notification that an applicant has been recommended for acceptance to the graduate program, a Letter of Intent will be mailed to each applicant. Applicants must sign and indicate their intent to accept the offer of admission in the Letter of Intent and return the form by May 1st. The official offer of admission to the graduate program and the University will come from the Cal Poly Office of Admissions.