How to Apply to the Curriculum & Instruction Specialization
Step 1: Cal State Apply Application (NO LATER than April 1st)
- Submit a graduate application to Cal Poly through Cal State Apply by the deadline. Please visit the Cal State Apply FAQ for more information. You will be required to upload the following to your Cal State Apply application*:
- A copy of your unofficial transcripts
- Unofficial transcripts for all other colleges/universities (if applicable)
- Name and email of 3 individuals to submit a letter of recommendation
* Please note that all of the listed items are required to submit your application.
- Pay the $55 application fee online
- Submit one official transcript from all colleges and universities attended other than Cal Poly directly to the Admissions Office. (Cal Poly degree holders do not need to provide these transcripts unless coursework was taken after posting of your degree). Instructions for submitting you for official transcripts can be found at the following link:
Before submitting your CSU Mentor Application, ensure that you have successfully completed the following:
- Cumulative higher education grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 for your last 60 semester or 90 quarter units. Applicants with a GPA lower than 3.0 are encouraged to contact Dr. Tanya Flushman, email@example.com
- GRE is NOT required
- We encourage ALL applicants to apply for financial aid in order to be eligible for any School of Education scholarship opportunities.
Step 2: Required Supplemental Materials (NO LATER than April 1st)
Once you have submitted your Cal State Apply application, you must then submit required supplemental materials. Open the C&I Supplemental Materials Submission form and upload the following in Word or PDF format:
- Cover Letter (explaining your interest in graduate study pursuant to an MA in Education via the Specialization in Curriculum and Instruction)
- Application Essay (no more than four double-spaced pages)
- Applicants are required to download and respond in writing to the Curriculum & Instruction Application Essay. Responses should be completed in an essay format. The responses will be read and evaluated for both content and style.
For assistance with the submission process, please contact SOE Credential Office at (805) 756-2616.
Step 3: Curriculum & Instruction Applicant Interview (Typically held during the beginning of April)
Applicants will be contacted by the School of Education office to arrange an on-campus group interview time. Those unable to attend the on-campus interview may be able to interview by phone or Skype. All interviews are conducted by Curriculum & Instruction faculty. There will be an opportunity for applicants to pose any additional questions during the interview.
Step 4: Curriculum & Instruction Applicants are notified of their status (NO LATER than May 1st)
After interviews are concluded, Curriculum & Instruction faculty will make recommendations to the Cal Poly Office of Admissions for acceptance to the program. Following notification that an applicant has been recommended for acceptance to the graduate program, a Letter of Intent will be mailed to each applicant. Applicants must sign and indicate their intent to accept the offer of admission in the Letter of Intent and return the form by May 1st. The official offer of admission to the graduate program and the University will come from the Cal Poly Office of Admissions.