Program Completion & Credential Requirements
Applicants must satisfy all of the following requirements for the Five-Year Education Specialist Preliminary Teaching Credential:
- Possession of a baccalaureate or higher degree other than in professional education from a regionally accredited institution
- Completion of Basic Skills Competency
- Completion of the Subject Matter Competency (CSET or Approved Subject Matter Program)
- Passage of the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA)
- Demonstration of knowledge of the principles and provisions of the Constitution of the United States
- POLS 112 - American & California Government, equivalent or U.S. Constitution exam offered by Cuesta College or exam offered online. Applicants who earned their bachelor's degrees at a CSU Campus will have met this requirement by virtue of their degree
- Complete Special Education Teacher Education Preparation Program coursework and Clinical Practice
- Meet the state requirements for technology competency (requirement will be met by program completion)
- Meet the state requirements for Health Education by completing one of the following options:
- CPR Certification - Must include all three: adult, child, and infant training, follow the American Heart Association or American Red Cross guidelines, and be valid at the time of credential recommendation.
- Pass the Teacher Performance Assessment (EdTPA)
- Complete the SOE Exit Survey
- Submit a Credential Request Application to the School of Education via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following M.A. requirements must be met to earn the M. A. in Education. You will complete these requirements during the program.
- Successful submission of a) the Formal Study Plan, b) Advancement to Candidacy Form, c) Request to Graduate Form
- Successful completion of coursework listed on the Formal Study Plan
- Successful completion of the Comprehensive Examination requirement
- Successful completion of the Inquiry Project
ADDITIONAL COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS:
- Evidence of completion of the speaking and writing competencies requirement
Speech Requirement: Completion of a Personal Aptitude Interview will fulfill this requirement.
Writing Requirement: If you are a CSU or UC graduate, you automatically fulfill this requirement. Private or out-of-state university graduates can contact the Writing & Learning Center for evaluation.
- TB Clearance (current within 3 years at the time of credential recommendation)
- Rubella Clearance