Special Education Program Completion Requirements
Applying for a Credential
The following items must be successfully completed before the candidate will be eligible for recommendation of their credential:
- Possession of a baccalaureate or higher degree other than in professional education from a regionally accredited institution
- Satisfaction of the Basic Skills Requirement
- Complete M.S. in Special Education/Education Specialist Mild Moderate Program (MA/SPED) coursework and clinical practice in schools and family homes.
- Completion of the subject matter requirement
- Complete state licensure requirement coursework
- KINE 443 - Health Education or approved equivalent (4 units)
- CPR Certification - Must include all three: adult, child, and infant training and follow the American Heart Association or American Red Cross guidelines.
- POLS 112 - American & California Government, equivalent or U.S. Constitution exam offered by Cuesta College. (Applicants who earned their bachelor's degrees at a CSU Campus will have met this requirement by virtue of their degree).
- Demonstration of knowledge of the principles and provisions of the Constitution of the United States
- Passage of the Reading Instruction Competence Assessment (RICA)
- Complete the Inquiry Project
- Pass the Comprehensive Examination (Master's only Candidates)
- Submit a Request for Graduation Evaluation (to be completed in class and submitted by the Credential Office) (Master's only Candidates)
- Submit a request for credential to the Credential Office (02-120) in the SOE no sooner than the eigth week of Spring Quarter. (Master's & Credential Candidates)
- Complete the SOE Exit Survey. You will need to print out a copy of the last page of the survey and submit it to the Credential Office (02-120) when you submit your request for the credential.