Information on Hosting a Teacher Candidate
Be a Teacher Leader by Serving as a Cooperating Teacher
The School of Education at Cal Poly values its partnerships with local K-12 districts as teacher candidates engage in clinical practice. Collaborating with a cooperating teacher throughout the credential program is a crucial component of learning how to teach.
If you are thinking about serving as a cooperating teacher, we encourage you to explore this website to learn more about the field component of our credential programs and how Cal Poly will support you in your mentorship role.
The Power of Giving Back: Hosting a Teacher Candidate
Clinical Practice at Cal Poly
The following document contains a brief overview of the clinical practice at Cal Poly, describing the roles of the triad (teacher candidate, cooperating teacher, and university supervisor). Review this document to learn more about whether being a cooperating teacher is something that might be of interest to you.
School of Education Support for Clinical Practice 21/22
While our supports vary from year to year, below are a few of the ways that we support cooperating teachers throughout the year.
- Workshops to support cooperating teachers hosting a teacher candidate (quarterly workshops with a $100 stipend/workshop)
- Additional professional development opportunities offered through Cal Poly and our external partners
- Book circles with a variety of stakeholders in education (book provided)
- Virtual support via twice-a-month newsletters and clinical practice webpage
- University supervisors visit the classroom (virtual and in-person) and facilitate discussion, provide support, and answer questions 10 times during the academic year including early in the placement
- Program coordinators available to answer questions and provide support