On July 9th, 2021, Governor Newsom signed the TK-12 Education Trailer Bill (AB 130), which creates additional pathways for teacher candidates to satisfy the basic skills requirement (BSR) and subject matter competence (SMC). Please find details below outlining these new options and requirements for admission to a teaching credential program at Cal Poly SLO.
Verification of the Basic Skills Requirement
Individuals may satisfy the basic skills requirement by mixing and matching the following methods ensuring they meet the proficiency requirement in all three areas: reading, writing, and math. Candidates should submit a Basic Skills Evaluation Request Form for review to firstname.lastname@example.org..
- Pass the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP - Mathematics and English)
- Pass the CSU Placement Examinations (ELM and EPT),
- ACT Scores
- SAT Scores
- AP Scores
- California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- Coursework: Courses must have been taken at a regionally accredited college or university for credit, passed with a grade of B- or better, be degree applicable, and be at least 3-semester units (or equivalent quarter units).
- For reading proficiency: a course in critical thinking, literature, philosophy, reading, rhetoric, or textual analysis. (Hint: look for A3 GE coursework with an English prefix)
- For writing proficiency: a course in composition, English, rhetoric, written communication, or writing. (Hint: look for A2 GE coursework with an English prefix)
- For mathematics proficiency: a course in algebra, geometry, mathematics, quantitative reasoning, or statistics. (Hint: look for B4 GE coursework with a Math prefix)
||English Score Requirement
Math Score Requirement
|CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP)
||"College Ready" or "Exempt"
||"College Ready" or "Exempt"
|CSU Placement Exams (EPT and ELM)
|College Board SAT (taken after March 2016)
|College Board SAT (taken before March 2016)
|College Board Advanced Placement Examinations (AP)
A score of 3+ on one of the following:
-AP English Language & Composition
-AP English Literature & Composition
A score of 3+ on one of the following:
-AP Calculus AB
-AP Calculus BC
If you plan to mix & match exams and coursework, you must complete a Basic Skills Evaluation Request Form and submit it to the Credential Office at email@example.com for evaluation. Once approved a CP41-BSR form will be returned to you providing verification of Basic Skills completion. Evaluations will be completed in the order they come in and will take 4-6 weeks to be returned to the submitter.
Do not submit a Basic Skills Evaluation Request Form if you are using a single exam with qualifying scores (i.e. CBEST or SAT); official scores will need to be sent to Cal Poly rather than a form.
See, Basic Skills Requirement for an explanation of options to meet BSR, also see AB-130 Coded Correspondence for additional information.
Find additional clarification and answers to commonly asked questions on our Basic Skills Requirement Completion Options FAQ document.
Verification of Subject Matter Competency
Individuals may satisfy the subject matter competency requirement by completing one of the following methods:
- Commission-Approved Subject Matter Waiver Program
- California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET) - Successful passing of all the CSET subtests specific to your credential objective. See your program "Competency Requirements & Prep Resources" page for more details.
Holding a Bachelors or higher in an approved major - AB 130 expands the available options to allow candidates to meet the Subject Matter Requirement through successful completion of an academic major in the subject they will teach. Utilize the table below to determine eligibility.
Coursework via a Cal Poly SMC Evaluation - AB 130 allows candidates to use qualifying coursework to meet the domains of CSET subtests. This option allows for some subtests to be met by coursework and some to be met by passing the CSET. For example, a candidate may meet Multiple Subjects CSET Subtest I with qualifying coursework, and meet Subtests II & III by passing the exams.
Candidates are only eligible to request Cal Poly SMC Evaluations if they are affiliated with Cal Poly, including candidates who:
Completed an undergraduate degree at Cal Poly and are applying to enroll in an Educator Preparation Program at Cal Poly*
Completed an undergraduate degree at another institution and are applying to enroll in an Educator Preparation Program at Cal Poly
Cal Poly SMC Evaluations can be requested by emailing the SOE Credential Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the following information in your email: full first and last name, EMPL ID (if Cal Poly undergrad), degree-granting institution, the credential program of interest, and the Cal State Apply admission deadline for the quarter you are planning to submit an application for.
*We are unable to accept requests from Cal Poly undergrads who are not attending a Cal Poly credential program.
|Approved degrees for multiple subject credential
||approved degrees for single subject credential
||approved degrees for education specialist credential
|For Multiple Subject credentials, the major must be in:
||For Single Subject credentials, the major must be in one of the subjects named in Education Code section 44257(a):
||For Education Specialist credentials, the major must be in:
- Liberal Studies
- Interdisciplinary major that includes coursework in the content areas identified in subdivision (b) of California Education Code section 44282. Interdisciplinary majors will require an evaluation.
- Health Science
- Home Economics
- Industrial & Tech Education
- Phys. Education
- Science (Biology, Chemistry, Geoscience, Earth Science, Physics)
- Social Science
- World Languages
|- Any of the approved degrees for the Multiple or Single Subject Credential
Suggested Preparation Sources:
- Pearson Exam Preparation Materials
- Study.com - Prepare for your CSET/CBEST Exams - all in one place! The STEM Teach Scholarship will reimburse you up to two months of use on Study.com. Click here to learn more about the STEM Teach Scholarship.
Check out what a student has to say about their experience using Study.com to prep for the CSET by clicking here!
Test Prep Review - Test Prep Review contains prep material for many different CSET/CBEST tests and information on each of those tests. Below are links to practice tests.
Teachers Test Prep - Create an online account through Teachers Test Prep to take the online CSET practice tests and get a complete diagnostic in the areas that you need to work on.
UCI Open - The University of California Irvine has CSET preparation materials set up in canvas study modules with practice questions.
If you have used additional resources and found them helpful, please email them to email@example.com so that we can add them here for others to benefit!