How to Apply to the Special Education Program
Step 1: Cal State Apply Application & Official Transcripts (NO LATER than April 1st)
The Cal State Apply application must be submitted by April 1 (or preferably before) to be considered for the Integrated M.S. in Special Education / Education Specialist Mild/Moderate Credential Program (MS/SPED). The remainder must also be submitted no later than April 1. Please visit the Cal State Apply FAQ for more information.
- Submit a graduate application to Cal Poly through Cal State Apply by the deadline. Pay the $55 application fee online. You will be required to upload the following to your Cal State Apply application*:
- A copy of your unofficial transcripts
- Unofficial transcripts for all other colleges/universities (if applicable)
- Name and email of 3 individuals to submit a letter of recommendation
* Please note that all of the listed items are required to submit your application.
- Submit an official transcript from the college or university other than Cal Poly that granted (or for June graduates, will grant) your B. A. or B. S. (Note: Cal Poly bachelor’s degree holders do not need to provide these transcripts unless coursework was taken after the posting of your degree). A 2.5 GPA over the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units is required.
- All applicants must be in possession of a Bachelor’s degree earned from a regionally accredited institution at the time they begin the program.
- Instructions for submitting your official transcripts can be found at the following link: https://admissions.calpoly.edu/applicants/graduate/transcripts.html
Step 2: Required Supplemental Materials (NO LATER than April 1st)
Once you have submitted your Cal State Apply application, you must then submit required supplemental materials. Open the SPED Supplemental Materials Submission form and upload the following in Word or PDF format:
- Letter of introduction - A brief letter of introduction expressing your interest in applying to the MA/SPED. Please include your contact information at the conclusion of this letter
- Results of having passed the California Basic Skills Requirement
- Evidence of having registered for the Multiple Subject CSET examination (all three subtests); if you have passed one or more subtests, please submit a copy of the results!
- Personal Interest Questionnaire - Applicants are required to download and respond in writing to the 8 Personal Interest Questionnaire prompts. Responses should be numbered corresponding to the prompt addressed. Responses to individual prompts and may vary in length. This questionnaire will be read and evaluated for both content and style.
Questions? Please contact: