How to Apply to the MSTEP Program
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the MSTEP application in its entirety ensuring all requirements are fulfilled, all required signatures are present, and necessary attachments are gathered. Download the application and save it to your computer before completing it.
Upload the following requirements with the Cal State Apply application:
- MSTEP Application and necessary attachments as “Supplemental Materials.”
- Issuance of Certificate of Clearance
- Evidence of Subject Matter Competency **
- Evidence of passing Basic Skills Requirement (BSR) **
- Unofficial transcripts for all other colleges/universities as “Supplemental Materials.” (if applicable)
- Name and email of 2 individuals to submit a letter of recommendation
- Academic - attest to your ability to be successful in a professional education program.
- Experience with Children - addresses your relevant experience in an educational setting, such as tutoring or working with school-age youth.
- Letters should be typed on professional letterhead with original signatures. The above letters will not be considered if they are from a close relative.
4. Send official transcripts to the Cal Poly Admissions Office directly from the degree-granting institution by the Cal State Apply deadline.
- Instructions on how to submit your official transcripts
- Cal Poly bachelor's degree holders do not need to provide these transcripts
5. Complete a Professional Aptitude Interview (PAI) - You will be contacted to schedule an interview date and time.
Cal State Apply Q&A Sessions
These sessions are designed for those with in-progress Cal State Apply applications for the upcoming application cycle. This session will not cover general program info but is only offered for current applicants ready to hit submit on their application.Fall 2022 Multiple Subject - Application deadline is April 1, 2021
- Friday, March 18, 2022 - 1:30-2:30 PM - Register for Virtual Session
* Prospective students may submit a Cal State Apply application for post-baccalaureate admission to the university to complete prerequisite courses Fall, Winter, OR Spring quarter. Prerequisite students will apply to the MSTEP program following the process described above and will be conditionally admitted to the MSTEP program pending prerequisite course completion and having all requirements met prior to beginning MSTEP coursework.
** Temporary flexibilities adopted as part of EO N-66-20 and SB 820 dictate that for Winter 2022 candidates, this is not an admission requirement. This requirement must be completed prior to the preliminary multiple subject credential recommendation, and are not currently an admission requirement. If you cannot submit passing scores with your application, you must submit proof of registration so that we can ensure you are in progress with this requirement.