- Ph.D. English Education, University of Pittsburgh, 2009
- M.Ed. English Education, Millersville University, 2004
- B.S. English Education, Millersville University, 2002, magna cum laude
- Teacher education and professional development
- Effective pedagogy and curriculum
- Teaching of writing
- Teacher beliefs and instructional practices
- Social-class specific responses to literature
- Coteaching in the clinical practice
- Guise, M., Thiessen, K., Robbins, A., & Habib, M. (2017). Continuum of co-teaching implementation: Moving from traditional student teaching to implementing co-teaching. Teaching and Teacher Education, 66, 370-382.
- Guise, M., & Friend, N. (2017). Demystifying poetry for middle school students through collaborative, multimodal writing. Language Arts, 94(6), 395-406.
- Guise, M., & Thiessen, K. (2017). From pre-service to employed teacher: Examining one year later the benefits and challenges of a co-teaching clinical experience. Educational Renaissance, 5(1), 37-51.
- Guise, M., Habib, M., Robbins, A., Hegg, S., Hoellwarth, C., & Stauch, N. (2016). Pre-conditions for success & barriers to implementation: The importance of collaborative and reflective dispositions to foster professional growth during a coteaching clinical experience. Teacher Education Quarterly, 43(4), 55.
- Guise, M., Thiessen, K., Robbins, A., Habib, M., Stauch, N., & Hoellwarth, C. (2016). The evolution of clinical practice: Moving from traditional student teaching to co-teaching. Handbook of research on teacher education and professional development. Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
- Benko, S.L., Guise, M., Earl, C., & Gill, W. (2016) More than social media: Using Twitter with preservice teachers as a means of reflection and engagement in communities of practice. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 16(1), Retrieved from cietjournal.org/vol16/iss1/languagearts/article1.cfm
- Thein, A.H., Guise, M., & Sloan, D.L. (2015). Examining the circulation of emotional rules in the English classroom: A Critical Discourse Analysis of one student’s literary responses in two academic contexts. Research in the Teaching of English, 49(3), 200-223.
- Guise, M., & Benko, S.L. (2014). Scaffolding pre-service English teachers to teach secondary students how to utilize digital tools when composing. In R.S. Anderson & C. Mims (Eds.), Digital tools for writing instruction in K-12 settings: Student perception and experience. IGI Global.
- Guise, M. (2013). Forming university and teacher partnerships in an effort to reframe and rethink mentoring programs. English Journal, 102(3) 65-70.
- Thein, A.H., Guise, M., & Sloan, D.L. (2012). Exploring the significance of social class identity performance in the English classroom: A case study analysis of a literature circle discussion. English Education, 44(3) 215-253.
- Thein, A.H., Guise, M., & Sloan, D.L. (2011). Problematizing literature circles as forums for discussion of multicultural and political texts. Journal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 55(1) 15-24.
- Flushman, T.R., Hegg, S.E., Guise, M.E., & Flessner, L. (in press). Transforming teacher preparation through partnership: Leveraging improvement science to support teacher induction. Journal for Quality Perspectives in Knowledge Acquisition, 10(1), 18-28.
- Flushman, T., Hegg, S., & Guise, M. (2020). Using data for continuous improvement: Reflection by California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo. In M. Miller (Ed.), New Generation of Educators Initiative: Transforming teacher preparation (pp. 58-61). The California State University
- Guise, M., Hegg, S., Ronan, B., Flushman, T., & Grant, B. (2020). Supporting emergent bilingual professional development through supervisor feedback. Journal of Educational Supervision, 3(1), 55-75.
- Flushman, T., Guise, M., & Hegg, S. (2019). Improving supervisor written feedback: Exploring the what and why of feedback provided to pre-service teachers. Issues in Teacher Education, 28(2), 46-66.