Tanya Flushman, Ph.D.
- 2012 Doctor of Philosophy Department of Teaching and Learning Vanderbilt University Concentration: Learning, Teaching and Diversity Emphasis: Language, Literacy and Culture
- 2006 Master of Science in Education State University of New York, College at Buffalo Emphasis: Curriculum, Instruction and Research
- 2000 Multiple Subject Teaching Credential with CLAD emphasis, San Francisco State University, Muir Alternative Teacher Education Program
- 1998 Bachelor of Arts University of California, Santa Cruz Major: Modern Literary Studies
- Content literacy learning in preschool and elementary school (with an emphasis in science)
- Writing, reading, and language development and instruction in preschool and elementary school
- Curriculum development and implementation
- Qualitative research methods
- Multicultural education
- Sociocognitive and sociocultural theories of literacy learning and instruction
- Valentina, V., & Flushman, T.R. (2017). Emphasis of University Supervisor Feedback to Teacher Candidates. The Journal of Student Research, (6)2.
- Flushman, T.R., Parker, M., Cabrera Mendoza, E. (2016). Reading and writing to learn: Literacy and science integration in 4th grade classrooms. The California Reader, 50(1), pgs. 31-39.
- Rowe, D.W., & Flushman, T.R. (2013). Best Practices in Early Writing Instruction. In D. Barone & M. Mallette (Eds.), Best Practices in Early Literacy Instruction. New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Jiménez, R.T., Rose, B.C., Cole, M.W., & Flushman, T.R. (2011). English Language Learners: Language and relationships. In D. Lapp & D. Fisher (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Teaching the English Language Arts, 3rd ed. NY: Routledge.
- Dickinson, D.K., Flushman, T.R., & Freiberg, J.B. (2009). Vocabulary reading and classroom supports for language. In B. Richards, M.H. Daller, D.D. Malvern, P. Meara, J. Milton, & J. Treffers-Daller (Eds.), Vocabulary studies in first and second language acquisition. UK: Palgrave Macmillan.
- EDUC 428: Foundations of K-8 Literacy Teaching and Learning for Diverse Populations, 2013- present
- EDUC 521: Literacy Across the Curriculum, Fall 2016
- EDUC 528: Advanced Classroom Pedagogy in English Language Arts, Fall 2017
- EDUC 532: Advanced Fieldwork, Spring 2017
- EDUC 598: Action Research Project in Education, Fall 2017
- LS462: Senior Project Research, Spring 2015, 2016, 2017