Program Prerequisites and Requirements for a Credential
There are two applications to be admitted to the credential program: an application to the university (through CSU Mentor) and an application to the Single Subject Credential Program. The two applications have different deadlines (see the deadlines in the right frame of this webpage).
Before you apply to the university (CSU Mentor Application) and the Single Subject Credential Program, you must have successfully completed the following:
- Verification of meeting the Basic Skills Requirement
- Passed the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) examination. (See, Basic Skills Requirement for other options to meet BSR)
- Applied for Certificate of Clearance (Instructions)
- Cumulative higher education grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.67 at the time of application OR at least a 2.75 GPA for your last 60 semester or 90 quarter units. Applicants with a GPA lower than 2.67 should contact the appropriate Single Subject Faculty Advisor for guidance.
- Contact your program advisor (listed here)
- Verification of subject matter competency
- Certificate of Clearance Issued (Applying for the certificate was part of the university application. Your Certificate of Clearance should be issued by this point.)
- Health Clearance Verification (TB and Rubella Clearance)
- Evidence of completion of the SPEAKING AND WRITING ENGLISH competencies requirement.
- Complete pre-requisite coursework
- An approved early field-experience course (e.g., EDUC 300 or SCM 300) to include 45 hours of field work in a K-12 public school
- For English candidates
- ENGL 361 Reading Instruction in Adolescent Literature (5 units, only offered in winter and spring quarters)
The following requirements must be met prior to recommendation of your preliminary credential. You can complete these requirements before entering, during, or after the program.
- KINE 250 or KINE 443- Health Education or approved equivalent (4 units)
- POLS 112 - American & California Government, equivalent or U.S. Constitution exam offered by Cuesta College. (Applicants who earned their bachelor's degrees at a CSU Campus will have met this requirement by virtue of their degree).
- CPR Certification (must include Infant, child, and adult training; online CPR certification is not acceptable).