Important Dates

Winter 2024 deadline
MSTEP Application October 1, 2023
Cal State Apply October 1, 2023
Basic Skills Requirement October 1, 2023
Subject Matter Competence/CSET  October 1, 2023
Program Start Winter Quarter - January 8, 2024
Program End Fall Quarter 
fall 2024 deadline
MSTEP Application March 1st, 2024
Cal State Apply March 1st, 2024
Basic Skills Requirement March 1st, 2024
Subject Matter Competence/CSET June 1st, 2024
Program Start Fall Quarter 
Program End Spring Quarter 


Multiple Subject Credential Program FAQ's

Answers to Frequently Asked Questions


Where do I go to get my Certificate of Clearance application (and get fingerprinted)?

If I’ve been fingerprinted before, does it count, or do I need to be fingerprinted again?

In your career as a teacher, you will only be fingerprinted once for credentialing or certification purposes (COC), but for employment purposes with several different employers, it’s likely that you will be fingerprinted several times.

Regarding the application for a Certificate of Clearance, if I’ve been fingerprinted already by a school district where I’ve been a substitute teacher, do I need to be fingerprinted again?

If you hold an emergency 30-day Substitute permit in San Luis Obispo, then you will not need to be fingerprinted again. If you want to start substituting in San Luis Obispo County you will need to be fingerprinted again. Also, you must be sure your emergency 30-day Substitute permit stays valid throughout your teacher prep program.

If I took adult, infant, and child cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) training while I was in high school or community college, do I need to take it again?

Yes, if it has expired. Certification must be valid at the time of credential request. Additionally, CPR certification must include all three: adult, child, and infant training and follow the American Heart Association or American Red Cross guidelines.

Where can I get CPR training?

Local sites include the American Heart Association, 805-544-1505; American Red Cross, 805-543-0696; Arroyo Grande Community Hospital, 805-489-4261; Sierra Vista Hospital, 805-546-7600; Twin Cities Hospital, 805-237-8492; Cal Poly Kinesiology Course PE 280-First Aid & CPR; Cuesta Community College Health Education Course HE 4-Standard First Aid & CPR.  See the School of Education website for more sites.

Due to COVID-related changes, we are currently accepting online certification.

If I think I may be able to substitute one or more of the prerequisite courses, when do I submit my paperwork? Do I have to wait until I’ve been admitted to Cal Poly to pursue a Multiple Subject credential?

You can submit documents to the Credential Office after you have attended a Multiple Subject Information Meeting. After the meeting, you should talk with the information presenter about courses you may try to substitute for EDUC 207, EDUC 300, EDUC 427 and/or EDUC 428.

May I take prerequisite courses before I’ve been admitted to the University?

Yes, you can enroll in prerequisite courses after being admitted to the university as a post-baccalaureate candidate or you can attempt to enroll prior to admission to the university through the Open University (call 805-756-2053 or see for more information). Undergraduate candidates currently enrolled in the university also can enroll in these courses through the regular enrollment process. In addition, you are eligible to seek enrollment in KINE 443.

What is required to add a Single Subject (SS) credential when you hold an MS credential?

This is an “Added Authorization.” You need to show Subject Matter Competency (by the appropriate CSET(s) examinations or coursework) and complete a 3 SEMESTER OR 4 QUARTER UNIT course in a content specific METHODOLOGY directly related to teaching in a departmental setting (see page 15).

Can I take EDUC 429, 431, 435 or 436 prior to being admitted to the MSTEP (MSTEP I)?

No! You become eligible to take 429, 431, 435 or 436 after you have been admitted to MSTEP I (admission to the MSTEP Program).

As a post-baccalaureate candidate, do I need to complete all my credential work within 1 year?

No, you can take longer, but please note that there is a time limit for some “qualifying” exams like the CSET Exam, which is valid for 5 years.

Do I have to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)?


Must I take the CSET to be admitted to the MSTEP?

Yes, you must pass the CSET before applying for MSTEP I. Also note that it is difficult to take all parts at the same time, and more difficult to pass if you don’t review the sample questions.

As a Cal Poly graduate (or current student), do I have to request transcripts from Cal Poly?

No. You only request transcripts from other colleges and universities that you have attended.

What is the edTPA and how does it affect me in this program?

Cal Poly has adopted the national Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA) system as part of the validation of each new teacher.  The teaching performance assessment consists of Embedded Signature Assignments (ESAs) and a Teaching Event.  Together the Embedded Signature Assignments and the Teaching Event measure all thirteen Teacher Performance Expectations (TPEs).  The Teaching Event must be passed prior to being recommended for your credential.

Campus Contacts

Cal Poly Financial Aid Office: 805-756-2927; Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Financial Aid Office (01/212), 1 Grand Ave., San Luis Obispo, CA 93407

Cal Poly Admissions Office: 805-756-2311. Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Admissions Office (01/206), 1 Grand Ave., San Luis Obispo, CA 93407

School of Education Credential Office: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, Credential Office (02/120),

1 Grand Ave., San Luis Obispo, CA 93407, TEL 805-756-2126; FAX 805-756-5682;     

Related Content

School of Education
California Polytechnic State University
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407