Steven Kane, Ph.D.
- PhD in Counseling and Educational Psychology - UCLA
- MA in Counseling and Educational Psychology - UCLA
- BA in Behavioral Science - California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- California Licensed Psychologist
- Learning disabilities
- College student mental health
- Helping women excel in STEM careers
Selected Publications and Research Activities
- Kane, S.T. (In development). The College Student Retention Inventory. Internet-based assessment of college student retention and persistence.
- Kane, S.T. (2016). The Kane Learning Difficulties Assessment. Lutz, Florida: Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc. See: https://www.parinc.com/Products/Pkey/212
- Kane, S.T., & Clark, H. (2016). The Kane Learning Difficulties Assessment: Professional Manual. Lutz, Florida: Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc.
- Kane, S.T. (2016). The Kane Learning Difficulties Assessment: Interpretive and Score Reports. Lutz, Florida: Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc.
- Kane, S.T., Roy, S. & Medina, S. (2013). Identifying college students at-risk for learning disabilities: Evidence for use of the Learning Difficulties Assessment in post-secondary settings. Journal of Postsecondary Education and Disability. 26(1), 21-33.
- Claborn, R.D. & Kane, S.T. (2012). First-Year College Students’ Homesickness and Separation Anxiety: Implications for Orientation, Retention, and Social Integration. Journal of College Orientation and Transition. Vol. 19; No. 2; pp. 7-17.
- Kane, S.T. (2012). The Learning Difficulties Assessment [Database record]. PSYTests. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association. DOI: 10.1037/t16154-000.
- Kane, S.T. & Jaques, J.D. (2012). Making the grade: How college women excel in science, technology, engineering and math majors. ACPA and NASPA grant funded video-documentary available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PP7MiskJs4
- Kane, S.T., Walker, J.H, & Schmidt, G.R. (2011). Assessing college level learning difficulties and “at-riskness” for learning disabilities and ADHD: Development and validation of the Learning Difficulties Assessment. Journal of Learning Disabilities. Vol. 44, No. 6, pp. 533-542. DOI: 10.1177/0022219410392045.
- Kane, S.T. (2008). Minimizing malingering and poor effort in the LD/ADHD evaluation process. The ADHD Report. 16, 5-9. DOI: 10.1521/adhd.2008.16.5.5
- Slem, C. & Kane, S.T. (2003); Utility of course web resources for students with learning disabilities. In C.L. Weigand (Ed.), "From E-mail to Earthquakes: On Teaching and Learning with Technology in the California State University." Long Beach, CA: California State University Press.
- Kane, S.T., Healy, C.C. & Henson, J. (1992). College students and their part-time jobs: Job congruency, satisfaction and quality. Journal of Employment Counseling, 29, 138-144.
- Kane, S.T. (1989). A review of the COPS Interest Inventory. Journal of Counseling and Development, 67, 361-363.
- EDUC 555 - Introduction to The Counseling Profession
- EDUC 556 - Multicultural Counseling
- EDUC 557 - Career Counseling
- EDUC 560 - Counseling Theories and Assessment
- EDUC 561 - Group Counseling
- EDUC 562 - Student Development in Higher Education
- EDUC 568 - Individual Counseling Techniques
- EDUC 573 - Intern Supervision (Higher Education)
- EDUC 590 – Research & Prof. Development in Education