Counseling & Guidance: How to Apply and Timeframe
Step 1: CalState Apply Application (NO LATER THAN March 1st)
- Submit a graduate application to Cal Poly through CalState Apply by the deadline. The CalState Apply application will ask for a Statement of Purpose. In that box, simply enter the following text: Statement of Purpose is being submitted directly to the graduate program.
- Pay the $55 application fee online
- Submit one official transcript from all colleges and universities attended other than Cal Poly directly to the Admissions Office. (Cal Poly degree holders do not need to provide these transcripts, unless coursework was taken after posting of your degree).
Mail transcripts directly to:
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Building 01, Room 206
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Before submitting your Cal State Apply Application, ensure that you have successfully completed the following:
- Cumulative higher education grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 for your last 60 semester or 90 quarter units. Applicants with a GPA lower than 3.0 and are encouraged to contact Dr. Daniel Almeida, Program Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- GRE is NOT required
- We encourage ALL applicants to apply for financial aid in order to be eligible for any School of Education scholarship opportunities.
Step 2: Required Supplemental Materials (NO LATER than March 1st)
Once you have submitted your CalState Apply Application, applicants must then submit the materials listed below.
- Unofficial transcripts from all Colleges and Universities Attended
- Applicants are required to upload a scanned copy of their transcripts from all colleges and universities that they have attended.
- Statement of Purpose - Personal Interest Essay
- Applicants are required to submit a Statement of Purpose – Personal Interest Essay that addresses five questions in five double-spaced, word processed pages. Essay responses will be read and evaluated for both content and style. Please upload your completed essay as a Word or PDF document to CalState Apply by March 1st.
- The CSU Mentor Application will ask for a “Statement of Purpose.” In that box, simply enter the following text: “Statement of Purpose is being submitted directly to the graduate program.”
- Current Resume
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- Applicants must have three references submit letters of recommendation via Interfolio that attest to the applicant’s potential for graduate study in the higher education counseling and students affairs field. Please review and sign the Letter of Recommendation form and forward this form to each of your three letter writers; your letter writers will upload this form with their letter of recommendation to CalState Apply. CalState Apply will ask you for the email address of each letter writer and then contact your letter writers with instructions on how to submit your letter of recommendation and recommendation form via the CalState Apply portal. If your letter writers have any difficulty uploading these documents, they can email them directly to Dr. Daniel Almeida at email@example.com
Step 3: Counseling and Guidance Applicant Interview (Typically held during the end of March, beginning of April)
Applicants will be contacted by the School of Education office to arrange an on-campus group interview time. Those unable to attend the on-campus interview may be able to interview by phone or Skype. All interviews are conducted by Counseling and Guidance faculty. There will be an opportunity for applicants to pose any additional questions during the interview.
Step 4: Counseling and Guidance Applicants are notified of their status (NO LATER than May 1st)
After interviews are concluded, Counseling and Guidance faculty will make recommendations to the Cal Poly Office of Admissions for acceptance to the program. Following notification that an applicant has been recommended for acceptance to the graduate program, a Letter of Intent will be mailed to each applicant. Applicants must sign and indicate their intent to accept the offer of admission in the Letter of Intent and return the form by May 1st. Once the Letter of Intent is returned to the program coordinator, applicants are made aware of numerous work opportunities on campus within the Student Affairs arena. These have included positions in Housing, Athletic Academic Mentoring, Academic Advising, Orientation Programs, etc. The official offer of admission to the graduate program and the University will come from the Cal Poly Office of Admissions.
Questions? Please contact:
Dr. Daniel Almeida, Professor and Program Coordinator
School of Education; Counseling and Guidance Program
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Building 02, Room 137
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407-0389