Master of Arts in Curriculum & Instruction Program Description
Candidates typically complete coursework and experiences for the Master of Arts in Education in the C&I Specialization within five quarters of enrollment.
The specialization has three types of courses and two areas of emphasis, the Elementary Teacher Emphasis (ETE) and the Secondary Teacher Emphasis (STE). All candidates will take core courses for the Master of Arts in Education and core cores for the C&I Specialization. Then there are 12 units of coursework for each area of emphasis, but different options for elementary versus secondary teachers.
The study plan below shows a planned sequence of continuous enrollment that is designed to lead to the completion of the Master of Arts within five quarters. Course substitutions from previous coursework could possibly shorten the length of your study plan.
- EDUC 586: Introduction to Inquiry in Education (4)
- EDUC 521: Literacy Across the School Curriculum (4)
- STE: Elective (400- or 500-level; approved by advisor) (4)
- EDUC 502: Advancing Pedagogy with Technology (4)
- EDUC 522: Advanced Classroom Pedagogy (4)
- ETE: EDUC 535: Advanced Pedagogy in Elementary Mathematics (4)
- EDUC 589: Research Methods in Education (4)
- EDUC 523: Curriculum Integration Involving School Academic Subjects (4)
- EDUC 532: Advanced Field Experiences (2)
- EDUC 588: Education, Culture, and Learning (4)
- EDUC 599: Thesis or Project (3)
- ETE: EDUC 528: Advanced Pedagogy in Literacy/ELA (4)
- STE: Elective (400- or 500-level; approved by advisor)