Program Prerequisites for the MSTEP Program
Prerequisites and Requirements for the MSTEP Program
There are two applications to be admitted to the credential program: an application to the university (through CSU Mentor) and an application to the Multiple Subject Teacher Education Preparation Program (MSTEP). The two applications have different deadlines (see the deadlines in the right frame of this webpage). Admission to the university allows applicants the opportunity to register for and complete all prerequisite courses and requirements before applying for admission to the MSTEP program, via the MSTEP I application.
Before you apply to the university (CSU Mentor Application), you must have successfully completed the following:
- Cumulative higher education grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.67 at the time of application OR at least a 2.75 GPA for your last 60 semester or 90 quarter units. Applicants with a GPA lower than 2.67 should contact a Multiple Subject Advisor for guidance.
- Verification of satisfying the Basic Skills Requirement or evidence of registration:
- California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST)
- California Subject Examination for Teachers (CSET)–Multiple Subject plus CSET–Writing.
- Pass the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP - Mathematics and English),
- Pass the CSU Placement Examinations (ELM and EPT),
- ACT Scores (23 or higher in Mathematics and 22 or higher in English),
- SAT Scores (550 or higher in Mathematics and 500 or higher in Reading), or
- AP Scores.
- (See, Basic Skills Requirement for explanation of options to meet BSR)
- Complete application for a Certificate of Clearance
- Letters of recommendation
- Credential applicants are required to submit two letters of recommendation. One letter should address the applicant's relevant experience in an educational setting such as tutoring or working with school-age youth. The second letter must be academic in nature, and should be chosen to attest to your ability to be successful in a professional education program. Letters should be typed on professional letterhead with original signatures. The above letters will not be considered if they are from a close relative.
- Verification of attendance at a Multiple Subject Information Meeting
Multiple Subject Teacher Education Preparation Program Application (MSTEP I)
Before you apply for admission to the MSTEP Program, you must have successfully completed the following and submit a MSTEP I application by the deadline:
- Complete pre-requisite coursework
- EDUC 207 Diverse Student Learning and Development in Educational Settings (4 units)
- EDUC 300 Historical, Philosophical and Social Foundations of Public Education (includes observation in grades K-6 in a public school) (3 units); or for Cal Poly LS Majors only, LS 230 Field Experience in the Elementary Classroom I (2 units) and LS 250 Field Experience in the Elementary Classroom II (2 units)
- EDUC 427 Theories, Methods, and Assessments of 1st and 2nd Language Acquisition in Schools (4 units)
- EDUC 428 Foundations of K-8 Literacy Teaching and Learning in Schools with Diverse Populations (4 units)
- Issuance of Certificate of Clearance
- Health Clearance Verification (TB and Rubella Clearances)
- Professional Aptitude Interview (see MSTEP I application)
- Evidence of completion of the SPEAKING AND WRITING ENGLISH competencies requirement.
- WRITING REQUIREMENT. If you are a CSU/UC graduate you will automatically fulfill the requirement.
- COMS 101 Public Speaking or COMS 102 Principles of Speech Communication or exam (4 units) (Speech Requirement) CSU graduates automatically fulfill this requirement.
- U.S. Constitution Requirement
- POLS 112 (3 units) American/California Government (U.S. Constitution Requirement); CSU graduates automatically fulfill this requirement.
- Verification of satisfying the Basic Skills Requirement (BSR) - see Basic Skills Requirement – CL-667 for options to meet BSR
- Verification of subject matter competency - CSET Multiple Subject - Successful passing of all subtests of the CSET-Multiple Subject