How to Apply to the Special Education Program
Admission to the M.A. in Education - Education Specialist Mild/Moderate Credential Program
There are eleven (11) elements that must be submitted. The CSU Mentor application must be submitted by April 15 (or preferably before) to be considered for the Integrated M. A. in Education/Education Specialist Mild/Moderate Credential Program (MA/SPED). The remainder must be submitted no later than May 1. These elements are listed below but for a more complete description of each of the elements, please view the “How To Apply Podcast” above.
- Submit a graduate application to Cal Poly through CSU Mentor by the deadline. Pay the $55 application fee online
- Submit an official transcript from the college or university other than Cal Poly that granted (or for June graduates, will grant) your B. A. or B. S. (Note: Cal Poly bachelor’s degree holders do not need to provide these transcripts, unless coursework was taken after the posting of your degree). A 2.5 GPA over the last 60 semester (90 quarter) units is required.
In addition to the official transcript submitted from your degree granting institution, submit official transcripts of ALL universities, junior colleges, and/or community colleges attended as an undergraduate.
Mail transcripts directly to:
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
Building 01, Room 206
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
- Submit unofficial transcripts documenting the earned B. A. or B.S. and coursework completed at ALL universities, junior colleges, and/or community colleges through Interfolio. You will need to click on the Interfolio link and scroll to the bottom and select Apply Now. Once there you will sign up for new account and the scan and upload the unofficial transcripts.
- Letter of introduction - A brief letter of introduction expressing your interest in applying to the MA/SPED. Please include your contact information at the conclusion of this letter
- Current resume
- Results of having passed the California Basic Skills Requirement – there are eight ways to satisfy this requirement. Please see the podcast for details.
- Evidence of having registered for the Multiple Subject CSET examination (all three subtests); if you have passed one or more subtests, please submit a copy of the results!
- Personal Interest Questionnaire- Applicants are required to download and respond in writing to the 8 Personal Interest Questionnaire prompts. Responses should be numbered corresponding to the prompt addressed. Responses to individual prompts and may vary in length. This questionnaire will be read and evaluated for both content and style.
- Three letters of recommendation - Applicants are required to submit three current letters of recommendation. At least one letter should address the applicant's relevant experience in an educational setting such as tutoring or working with school-age youth. At least one letter should be academic in nature. Letters should be current, typed on professional letterhead with original signatures and mailed directly to the address listed below.
- Video-taped responses to interview questions - Applicants are required to electronically send video-taped responses in a digitized format. (See Interview Questions and Submission Directives)
Items 5 (Letter of Introduction) through Item 10 (Letters of Recommendation) should be sent or delivered to the following address:
Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
School of Education
Attn: SPED Admission Supplemental Materials
Building 02, Room 120
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407-0389